At Lightspeed, we are dedicated to bringing cities and communities to life by powering small and midsize businesses. As Ligthspeed’s Legal Counsel, you will serve as a key member of its European commercial legal team. You’ll contribute to developing and scaling Lightspeed’s legal operations. You must be fluent in English and French, and passionate about (commercial) contracts. Come and help us build our communities!
What you’ll be responsible for
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts and templates with large customers, strategic partners, resellers and suppliers, primarily but not exclusively for the EU, the UK and Switzerland
- Serving as a trusted advisor to key stakeholders including the Sales, Marketing, Product, Technology, Support, Finance, and Information Technology teams;
- Assisting with drafting, revising, implementing and interpreting the company’s compliance policies, procedures and programs;
- Assisting with litigation management, employment matters, M&A and similar transactions, corporate legal requirements, privacy and other compliance matters, as needed;
- Liaising with regulatory bodies and government authorities as required;
- Participating in the legal training of colleagues and stakeholder groups;
- Providing ad hoc analysis and supporting complex, cross-functional and/or multi-jurisdictional projects and special requests from the executive team.
What you’ll be bringing to the team:
- A law degree and 2 years of experience in a law firm and/or as in-house counsel
- Experience of broad commercial nature, drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts, terms and conditions etc
- Professional-level proficiency in both French and English languages, including legal writing
- Strong knowledge of Commercial law, Contract law and Data Protection/Privacy law
- Comfortable communicating with colleagues and stakeholders on different levels and with different professional and cultural backgrounds
Who you are
- You are an analytical thinker and a pragmatic problem solver
- You are detail-oriented, autonomous, and able to take initiative
- You can handle a high volume of assignments
- You are motivated by new experiences and delivering a high level of service to your stakeholders
- You demonstrate a high standard of professional ethics and integrity
- You have strong interpersonal skills and you can bridge cultural differences
- You want to exchange ideas effectively and be a good teammate - we work as a team!
- You are curious and willing to improve
- You are eager to tackle all kinds of problems
Even better if you have, but not necessary:
- Experience working in an international environment, across different jurisdictions and languages;
- Experience working with cloud-based software and payments providers;
- Languages in addition to English and French (especially Dutch or German);
- Knowledge of and experience with IP, Fiscalization, and Corporate law.
What’s in it for you:
- This is your chance to play a key role in continuing to build and scale the legal function in Europe for a global, fast growing company .
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders and a dynamic environment
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family.
- Supportive colleagues, strong culture of collaboration cross-functionally, cool tech law problems to solve on a daily basis.
Lightspeed powers small and medium-sized businesses in over 100 countries around the world with its cloud-based commerce platform. Its smart, scalable, and dependable all-in-one Point of Sale software system helps restaurants and retailers sell across channels, manage operations, engage with consumers, accept payments, and grow their business. Founded in 2005 with offices in Canada, USA, Europe and Australia, Lightspeed recently completed its initial public offering on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: LSPD).